Before you submit
- Please format your subject line as “Genre/Title/Author’s Name”(For example: “Historical Fiction/The Picture Bride/Lee Geum-yi” or “Thriller/The Good Son/Jeong You-Jeong.”)
- Please don’t send a full manuscript unless solicited The first 30 pages of your manuscriptas a writing sample. The sample must be in pdf, doc, or docx.
- A short author’s bio (1-3 paragraphs) and a plot summary of the entire manuscript within one page. You can send these in the body of your email, but if you choose to send as attachments, the format must be pdf, doc, or docx.
- If applicable , please also send an extended CV that includes awards and honors, the entire publication history, reviews and blurbs.The format must also be pdf, doc, or docx.
- Established writers can submit their titles that were already published, but we prefer new manuscripts that have no Korean publisher attached yet.
- You cannot submit the same manuscript you already submitted to one of the Charm contests, and these repeated submissions may be automatically declined without being considered.
- We’re not accepting post submissions at the moment.
Once we have finished considering your submission , we will get in touch only when we’re interested in reviewing the entire manuscript.
If you fail to provide some of the required materials or your submission is formatted incorrectly, your submission may be declined automatically without being read.
*All these apply to translators, as well , but translators should senda translation sample of the first 30 pages of the work they’d like to translate, along with the Korean original. Please format your subject line as“Translation/The Original’s Title/Author’s Name.” We’re only considering English translation samples at the moment.
Is there a different between general submissions and contest submissions?
If you win the contest, you’ll receive the prize money (advance), an exclusive agency contract, and a domestic publication from the Korean partner publisher. For general submissions, we offer exclusive agency contracts, but it doesn’t immediately lead to domestic publication. It is possible, therefore, that your manuscript gets picked up by a foreign publisher before a domestic one in this case.
Can I send in multiple submissions?
Yes, you can send in multiple contest and general submissions. Even if you already submitted to one of the Charm contests, you can send in a general submission, if it’s not the same manuscript. Likewise, even if you already sent us a general submission, you can enter one of the Charm contests with another manuscript. You may enter as many times as you want. But you have to send each submission as a separate email, and if you submit multiple manuscripts in one email, your work may be automatically declined without being considered.
Can I send in a manuscript that I already submitted to another contest or agency?
Yes, you may. You can also submit such a work both to the contest and as a general submission. But when you’re sending us a simultaneous submission , please make sure to clearly state it as one, and if your work is accepted elsewhere, you should immediately notify us.
Have you not found what you’re looking for?
Please contact us about any additional questions.